Stará Lubovna

The castle of Stara Lubovna is one of the original border outposts of the northern edge of the former Greater Hungary. Its foundations date back to the end of the 13th century, and mention exists in the 14th century of its huge central tower with supporting walls. It was suplemented with another palace and fortification in the 14th and 15th centuries. After a fire in 1553 the castle was rebuilt and its fortification walls were improved. It was empawned to Poland from 1412 to 1772. The Polish crown jewels were deposited here from 1655 to 1661, during the Swedish invasion of Poland. The importance of the castle declined in the 19th century, and it became private property and later state property after 1948. It now houses a local history exhibition.

By arrangement the castle may be toured at night: even to the accompainment of "ghosts", live music or period fencing displays.

Below the castle is an open-air ethnographic museum, illustrating the folk architecture of north-eastern Spis and crowned by a Greco-Catholic church of 1883 from Matysova, adorned with icons from the first half of the 17th century. tel. 421/963/239 82, 243 72

The Pieniny National Park is located 30 km northwest of the town of Stara Lubovna, and is attractive not only for its splendid mountain scenery, but also for the possibility visitors have to take a romantic raft trip along the Dunajec River. Well worth a visit, too, is Cerveny Klastor (The Red Monastery) dating from 1319, a National Cultural Site.

The Lubovna Spa is ideal for a family holiday in tranquil surroundings, offering opportunities for walks, swimming and skiing, with five ski-lifts and terrains for skiers of all abilities.


Copyright 1998-2005 © Pro Region Slovakia Ltd. All rights reserved.